Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Get Crafty: Embroidered Portraits - Finished (sort of)

So I finally finished the portrait of Rosie.  I still need to mat and frame her but here's how it's turned out so far.

I learned a few things while working on this project.  After doing what I hope is not permanent nerve damage to my index finger, I've decided that the best way to punch the holes is with a tac that has a nice gripping head on it.  After squeezing on a straight pin for awhile I started to loose feeling in the tip of my finger.  Clearly I wasn't doing it correctly.  The tac works really great though. 
I also learned that it's easier if you back the papers you are punching with something that gives, like a nice piece of cardboard.  This allows the pin (or tac!) to move all the way through both layers of paper easily. 
And finally I learned that it would have been easier with actual embroidery floss, not just whatever sewing thread you just happen to have handy (that's what I get for randomly starting a project late at night without all the proper supplies.)  If I had used embroidery floss I could have more easily created different line weights. which would have made the piece more interesting. 
Overall it was a really fun and a surprisingly quick project.  I can't wait to try it again now that I have a better understanding of what I'm actually doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...