Friday, February 18, 2011

Get Crafty: Embroidered Portraits

via Country Living

Last night as I was catching up on my magazine reading I came across this wonderful project to custom stitch artwork from family photos in the February issue of Country Living Magazine.  It seemed like a beautifully simple idea.  It has also been a long time since I embroidered or crossstitched anything. That was one of my favorite crafts as a kid.  I'm also taking a break from the feverish knitting on the sweater I've been working on for the last month.  I got to the point where I could try it on and it made me feel fat - there I said it!  I decided that it was best to put it away for a bit and do something else for a while.  I think I might have found the diversion 

 
I gathered my supplies and got to work.  The directions are very simple.  I decided to try card stock instead of the suggested watercolor paper because it was what I happen to have on hand at 10:00 on a Thursday night.  I might try it again with the watercolor paper to see if it takes the pin hole punching any better.  I also used a clipboard to hold everything together because it was handy and seemed like a logical too to use.  


I got to work punching holes on a picture of the Sweet Puppy.  It was very easy though the card stock was a bit resistant to taking the holes.  I'm going to try using a soft card board backer next time.  I hope that will let the pin push through a bit better.


Of course, SOMEONE felt the need to supervise.  


I even started working on the stitches.  Alas, I don't have a finished product to show you.  It was past my bedtime so I had to stop the crafting for the night.  Tune in Monday though for hopefully a finished project.  We'll see how it goes.  

Happy Friday!  Have a great weekend.  It is a beautiful day here in Virginia.  It makes me really excited for the spring to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...