Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pardon Me While I Ramble....

I have been feeling a bit anti-design blog lately and needed to step away from the keyboard a bit.  Design is my job but it's also my hobby and it can be all consuming sometimes.  I have a great passion for it but sometimes it just feels like work and I need a bit of a break to regroup and to think about other things....though, to be honest, it's hard for me to stop thinking about the new sofa I want or the new kitchen I want or the new bed for the guest room I want, etc. etc.  It's not even about wanting stuff.  It's about dreaming of creating a home and spaces that I truly love.  I guess on top of it all I'm feeling a bit like the Cobbler whose children need new shoes. 

Aggh, to get back on track with the topic at hand,  I am trying to give my brain (and heart) a break by doing other things.  I taught myself to knit several years ago and for a very long time made lots of scarves.  It was something simple that I didn't have to think too much about and didn't have to even follow any directions.   Finally last year I decided to take it up a notch and learn some new skills.  I learned to knit in the round and made several hats.  Then I learned to cable and made this hat:


Who knew cabling was so easy.  It looks so complicated.  That taught me the valuable lesson that you won't be able to do it unless you try.  I tend to put the needles down in warm weather so I hadn't made anything lately until a few weeks ago.  I needed a distraction and I was inspired to make this wrap which actually turned out pretty nice (I still need to block it though)


 After finishing this I decided that I have the attention span of a gnat and needed something small to work on.  I've had varying degrees of sucess but I really like how these organic cotton dishcloths turned out. 


I found this excellent pattern from the Homespun Living blog.  The cotton is so soft and beautiful.  I doubt that it will make me want to wash the dishes any better though!    Now I'm making myself a pair of these. 


Ah, for cooler weather and a calmer mind. 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to learn how to knit but I'm not cordinated enough or something. I should stop by more.

    www.chicmodernvintage.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...